Game Preview: Crunch at Amerks, 2/26/2013
Tonight marks the sixth of ten meetings between the Syracuse Crunch and the Rochester Amerks. So far this season the Amerks are 5-1-0-0 against the Crunch and are 2-1-0-0 at home. The Amerks have outscored the Crunch 27-17 in the season series, but as of late the Crunch have been outpacing the Amerks in the scoring department. The Crunch are coming off of back-to-back shutouts against the Springfield Falcons (Columbus Blue Jackets) and the Connecticut Whale (NY Rangers). They’ve also scored 7 goals (3 and 4, respectively) in their last two games. Meanwhile, the Amerks have allowed 8 goals and scored only 3 in their last two games. After the jump you’ll find a few noteworthy statistics.
- Amerks: 50 GP 27-20-2-1, Currently 9th in the Western Conference with 57 points
- Crunch: 53 GP 33-14-2-4, Currently 1st in the Eastern Conference and 2nd in the AHL with 72 points
Streaks: (Last 10 games.)
- Amerks: 5-5-0-0
- Crunch: 8-2-0-0
- Amerks: 167 GF (4th in AHL), 148 GA
- Crunch: 186 GF (1st in the AHL), 141 GA
- Amerks: 779 PIM, 203 PKs, 29 PPGA, 85.7 PK%, 8 SHGF, Currently 6th in the league
- Crunch: 1250 PIM, 264 PKs, 42 PPGA, 84.1 PK%, 9 SHGF, Currently 13th in the league
- Amerks: 225 PP chances, 47 PP Goals, 20.9 PP%, 8 SHGA, Currently 5th in the league
- Crunch: 255 PP chances, 50 PP Goals, 19.6 PP%, 3 SHGA, Currently 7th in the league
Goalies: (* indicates projected starter.)
- Amerks: David Leggio*, 40 GP 26-13-2-1, 2.74 GAA, 0.911 SV%, 116 GA, Saves: 1280 of 1396, 2 SO
- Amerks: Nathan Lieuwen (Rookie), 1 GP 0-1-0-0, 4.00 GAA, 0.810 SV%, 4 GA, Saves: 17 of 21
- Crunch: Cedrick Desjardins*: 25 GP 10-13-?-2, 2.70 GAA, 0.912 SV%, 66 GA, Saves: 681 of 747, 4 SO (overall). With the Crunch: 3 GP 3-0-0-0, 1.00 GAA, 0.963 SV%, 3 GA, Saves: 78 of 81, 2 SO
- Crunch: Riku Helenius, 21 GP 12-8-?-0, 2.78 GAA, 0.892 SV%, 53 GA, Saves: 437 of 490, 4 SO
Forwards & Defensemen: (Points, Goals, Shots) (Excludes shootouts)
- Amerks: 27/30 have points, 23/27 have goals, 163 goals on 1505 SOG by 29 players (0.108 Shot %)
- Crunch: 25/28 have points, 26/28 have goals, 184 goals on 1773 SOG taken by 29 (goalie Riku Helenius is credited with a SOG) players (0.104 Shot %)
Defenseman Adam Pardy was called up to Buffalo Monday to take the place of injured Alexander Sulzer, so the Amerks will be without him for tonight’s game. Brian Flynn and Drew Schiestel are expected to return to the Amerks’ lineup tonight. Hopefully the return of Brian Flynn will give a boost to the Amerks offense, which has disappeared over the last week or so.
In their last five games the Amerks have scored just 7 goals (4 of which were against the Hamilton Bulldogs) while surrendering 15 goals, which explains their 1-4 record over that span; the lone win coming in shutout against the Bulldogs on February 18. As I mentioned in my last game recap, the Amerks haven’t won a game at home since February 1 against the Marlies. A win tonight in any fashion would do them some good.
I’ll be in my usual seat tonight (Section 114, Row G, Seat 13), so feel free to stop by and have an awkward conversation.